8 clever ways to save on your move
You don't need to be an extreme organizer or a crazy couponer to save money on your move.
Generally speaking, (A) reducing the amount of items to be moved, (B) preparing your home and belongings, and (C) looking at options for moving dates and types of pricing are strategies that will save you money on your move, whether you're doing it yourself or hiring movers. We’ve taken a closer look at those strategies below.
If you're planning on moving yourself:
1. If you’re packing yourself, consider used moving cartons … our offices sell used moving cartons at a discounted rate and they’re standard sizes for moving meaning less trips for the movers and more efficient loading on the truck, so, in the case of a local move, this will save time and save you money.
2. If you’re packing yourself avoid using bags, baskets, odds and ends … try to efficiently pack and consolidate smaller items. Standard and sturdy moving cartons (or totes) will provide better protection to your belongings while they’re in transit and won’t get confused with discarded items.
If you're planning a full-service move:
1. If you’re moving long-distance … out of town, across the province or to the other side of the country, weight will be a factor in the cost of your move. Lighten the load. Books, canned and dry food items, and furniture are the usual culprits. What to do?
Box up your canned and unopened non-perishable food items. Let your mover know and they will be happy to deliver them to the local food bank.
Gather up unwanted (we know, it can be hard to make the separation, but you’ll be glad you did … less is more!) clothes, books, housewares, furniture, and donate them to appropriate community organizations. Some will even come pick them up for you.
Want to MAKE some money? Try selling some of your purged items online - there are quite a few marketplaces for used items - Facebook Marketplace is a great place to start, Kijiji is tried and true; and E-bay might be your venue if you’ve some hot collectibles or higher-end items.
2. You’re hiring movers to save yourself the work and worry but if you can meet them halfway, certain preparation strategies can save you lots on time:
Consolidating furniture and boxes within the house will save on time.
If you can, disassemble furniture like beds - the movers will pad and wrap all of your furniture.
Take-down workshops and pack heavier items and tools separately from workbenches and cabinets.
Prepare appliances that will be moving (for example, block your washing machine to keep the drum steady during transit) - check with your appliance manufacturers for guidelines. Small appliances too - make sure to drain coffee makers and water coolers in advance. Our moving consultants can provide you with more information about transporting your appliances safely.
3. Label your boxes with the rooms they need to go in once at your destination. This saves time since the movers don’t need to ask about each piece and will save you stress trying to find things at your new spot. If you grouped things at origin to speed up the loading, labels will ensure delivery is accurate. Not sure where to buy boxes? If you're located locally in Kingston, we sell them online - check out our offerings here! If not, we have lots of supplies for sale in each of our 4 office locations.
4. If you can be flexible about your dates, you can often take advantage of the high/low volume discounts movers offer. Quieter days will get you a better rate. Planning ahead and asking about timing will facilitate this cost-saver. Moving outside of the summer months could save you hundreds of dollars on your move.
5. Additionally, if you're moving long-distance, ask your consultant about a fixed price move. This will guarantee your cost so if the move goes a bit heavier, you will only pay the fixed price given to you in advance.
6. If you change what you plan to move - Communicate this to your mover before moving day. Adding items will extend the service time and can impact cost.
If you're interested in a move that is as efficient as possible, and will save you time in the long run, get in touch with us to hear more about our services.